martes, 15 de abril de 2008

International Volunteer - Huang Peiwen's volunteering experience

To the team of Generation Acts club, my name is Huang Peiwen. Like the team, I am from Singapore and I had come to Peru to travel and to do volunteering work. In May-June 2007, I had the opportunity to work with the Generation Acts club in its activities. I would like to describe my experience with the team in Peru.

During my one month involvement with the generation acts club, I taught English to a group of young children who lived in a home called Agape. The children lived in a small community under the arms of social workers who looked after them and ensure that they attend school.

It was a rewarding experience doing teaching in Peru. Everyday I am learning how I can improve my teaching skills to these children. They are extraordinary children, the group of children who needs more attention since they come from broken families. There were language barriers between me and the children, so we communicate with one another through simple combination of Spanish and English. However, with our little understandings of each other, we managed to bond together during lesson times through songs and games during lesson breaks. It was a meaningful volunteer program to me as I learn more about the Peruvian education program and managing the young kids at home.

Everyday I see meaningful activities unfolding in the house of the Gen Acts Club. The lives of the team’s hectic work during the weekday give way to giving free education to the less privilege youths during the weekends. Children and youth activities are conducted during the weekend to enable the Peruvians a chance to develop their moral and social attitudes in a safe and friendly environment. I also see how the strengths of each team members complement with what they do. The leaders of Kids Alive club, Youth Alive club, and the Sunday church see different and unique leadership skills possess by the team. I see how the lives of the people changed when they entered into the “House of Hope”, a place where they can improve and embrace their lives better through the support of the team and one another.

I was touched by the act of love the Gen Acts Team have to the people who come from all walks of lives. I saw how genuine their interests on people and how they really want to help make Peru a better place to live in.

I thank them for giving me the opportunity to be part of their program. To be able to learn to appreciate the little things in our life, and to learn to contribute what we can to the society. This society perhaps needs different perspectives that Singaporeans may be able to offer new help to them. Likewise, I also see how Singaporeans can learn from the Peruvians to build a better place at home. The Peruvians have a culture of treating one another with respect, and I think it’s important that as a volunteer, we learn to help and in the process learn the goods from the people too.

Thanks You.

Huang Peiwen
30 June 2007
Voluntaria Internacional - La experiencia de voluntariado de Huang Peiwen
Les agradezco por haberme dado la oportunidad de ser parte de su programa. Por permitirme ser capaz de aprender a apreciar las pequeñas cosas en nuestras vidas, y aprender a contribuir en lo que podemos a nuestra sociedad. Esta sociedad talvez necesite perspectivas diferentes que los singapurenses pueden ser capaces de ofrecer como nueva ayuda. Asimismo, también veo como los singapurenses pueden aprender de los peruanos a edificar un mejor lugar en casa. Los peruanos tienen una cultura de tratarse uno y otro con respeto, y creo que es importante que como voluntaria aprenda a ayudar y en el proceso tambien aprender lo bueno de la gente.



Click on the top right hand side x to watch slide show again:)

No hay comentarios: